Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Meltdown!


I have a question for all you mommy bloggers out there! How do you deal with a child who has a meltdown? Now, I'm not pregnant nor do I have kids but I live with my nephew who is three. Today his friend came over and my sister-in-law and I took them to the park. While we were there, they fought over a scooter. After about 3 minutes of crying, screaming, yelling and pulling - I had had enough. I took the scooter away from both of them and told my nephew (who took the scooter from his friend) that if he wanted to play with it he needed to ask nicely. That didn't happen and a tantrum ensued. So we packed up the kids, I carried the scooter to the car and we left the park.

A lot of the times I worry about how I will be as a parent and it concerns me. Will I be the "time out" type, the "spanking" type or....what? I just don't know. I do know how I want to be. I want to sit down with them at their eye level, I want to tell them that the way they are behaving is incorrect and I want to ask them ways that they think that they can change it so that they can be happy. With the meltdown that I saw today, I just don't know if there will be the cooperation to do that. I guess perseverance and patience are key here, right?

Let me know how you handle situations like this, or ways in which you think I could help him be the best little man he can be.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have kids either but from my experience kids are sometimes just going to have temper tantrums no matter what you do. BUT there are things you can do to help them act their best. I watch my friend's little four year old girl and whenever she acts badly I tell her that I know her mom would hate it if I had to tell her how she was acting- kids HATE the idea of getting into trouble with their parents. But another things that works even better is telling her that she isn't acting like a big girl but a baby. Well after that she wants to act like a big girl and not be called a baby so she normally stops. Idk, just my very very basic knowledge of kids there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately tantrums are part of the growing process. The children's brains are trying to learn and absorb everything, but they can't exactly express themselves the way they would like. Tantrums are going to happen, and spanking them won't make it stop. Reasoning with them won't make it stop either :) Just a suggestion would be to read some parenting books while you are expecting your first little one, get some ideas in your head, that way when the time comes you'll have something to fall back on. Baby number 4 is following in the other's footsteps and will soon be headed into the terrible twos, even though she's only 17 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you handle a child seriously depends on their personality. I STILL haven't figured out how to deal with my 3 year old!
    It was good for you to leave the park. They can't behave badly and then be allowed to do the things they want. In fact, my kids shape right up (most times) when I threaten to take away a privilege:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have kids either but I would think that removing them from the enjoyable activity (park) was the best thing to do.

    ReplyDelete