Our little Jelly Bean was born on March 5th - so this is super late, but a new mom has no time on her hands!
LT and I went to the hospital for a scheduled induction and seconds before my OB was to break my water she says “Uh oh, we’ve got a problem.” Que panic mode. As it turns out, Jelly Bean was breech. She told me I had two options, either A) Manually try to move him or B) C-section. I, wanting to avoid c-section asked her to manually move him. Holy hell did that hurt! All that pain was for nothing because he didn’t budge. They began prepping for my c-section. As LT and I sat in the room, his face was filled with worry and I could do nothing but cry. This was everything that I had feared since day one of learning I was pregnant.
I walked into the OR and they put the epidural and morphine into my back and began surgery. I did not feel anything – not even pressure – and before I knew it, my son was born!
He was born at 11:01a.m. and weighed 6lbs 4oz. We happily went to our room where Jelly Bean and I spent most of the time learning how to nurse. I had no milk and barely any colostrum and that is when things took a turn for the worse. He started losing weight and became so lethargic that he would not wake up to nurse. After two frantic days of him eating the bare minimum I caved and allowed the nurse to give him two feedings of formula to get his energy level back up. I again cried as this was not what I wanted to do. I spent the third day with lactation consultants, crying and trying to figure out what I could do but we were discharged that day to figure it out. All they told me was try to get him to wake up, fix his latch, try to pump and give formula if all else failed. Well all else was failing last night around 6pm as he wouldn’t wake up to feed. I sat on the couch for half and hour crying as I tried desperately to feed him anything, including formula.
Around 9pm my breasts started to produce milk so I immediately put him on to nurse. He took a few gulps and perked up immediately.
He is three weeks old now, about 7 pounds and we are still having some issues with nursing due to oversupply, ironically! I love my son and I can’t imagine my life without him, so without further ado – here he is!
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




What a cutie! Congrats!!
ReplyDeleteawe he is so cute and so tiny..
ReplyDelete